First Congregational Church of Des Plaines
First Congregational Church of Des Plaines was founded in 1869 with a congregation of just 13 people. Church construction was completed in 1871 and after many years of expansion, reached its current size of 48,000 sq. ft. in 1929. The sanctuary for worship seats 550 people and the entire complex now features offices, classrooms, play rooms, two Sunday school chapels, a choir room and a fully functioning kitchen.
Affiliated with the United Church of Christ, First Congregational offers a regular pre-school, Sunday school, teen and adult study groups, and a weekly Youth, Bell and Chancel Choir session where all are welcome to attend and sing. The church also supports missionary programs, planning a yearly trip (most recently to New Orleans to help Hurricane Katrina victims) and support PADS and Project Survivor, a welcoming mission to refugees. First Congregational also opens their doors for weddings, baptisms and funeral service to the public regardless if they are a member of the congregation.
- Fax: 847-299-4291
- Hours: Sunday service: 8am and 9:30am Sunday school is held during the 9:30am service Office hours: Mon - Fri 9am - 3pm
- Handicap Accessible: There is an elevator and some pews have been removed from the sanctuary to accommodate wheelchairs. There are no ramps.
- Founding Date: Jan 01 1871
- What makes this community special?: Des Plaines is a great neighborhood with great recreational services.
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Congregation size: 350
- Services: Child care, Choir/music programs, Missionary programs, Study groups, Youth programs