This course is designed to give the novice canoeist or kayaker the basic safety information needed to have fun on the water. Topics include:
• Getting to know your paddlecraft - parts of a canoe and kayak; understanding paddlecraft characteristics such as basic types, lengths and weights.
• Before You Get Underway - knowing your paddlecraft’s capacity and how to file a float plan.
• Operating Your Boat Safely - how to enter and exit a canoe or kayak safely; sharing the waterways with others; the U. S. Aids to Navigation System.
• The legal requirements of boating - registration, required equipment.
• Boating emergencies, what to do, dealing with weather and hypothermia.