It's that time of the year again, so if you are looking for a way to show how much you care, let’s get right to the heart of the matter. February is heart health month, and the perfect time to get that heart pumping. Exercise significantly reduces your risk of heart disease, as well as improves your overall look...and, isn’t that the best gift you could give yourself or someone you love? Check out this list of five of the best exercises “straight from the heart.”
1. Walking. We were born to walk. Whether you rack up the miles on one of our treadmills, or hit the Prairie Lakes Fitness Center track, brisk walking is a natural way to improve your fitness. Wear supportive, comfortable walking shoes, strap on your iPod, and get moving.
2. Running. Though more challenging than walking, running is another heart-healthy activity that the human body is ready-made to do. In addition, it is one of the best ways to burn calories, especially the chocolate kind.
3. Cycling. Cycling is a low-impact exercise that gets your heart pumping, builds strength, and tones your lower body. Check out our cycling classes today. We are pedaling from early morning to evening. Mount up!
4. Swimming. For a full body fitness workout that’s great for your heart, swim laps in the Rosemont indoor pool. It’s open Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:00-9:30pm, Thursday and Friday from 6:30-9:30pm, and Saturday from 1:00-4:00pm. Aqua exercise classes start up again in March.
5. Circuit training. If your heart has a mind of its own, circuit training will not only keep you motivated, it will improve your strength and endurance. Enjoy a full body workout in the Prairie Lakes Fitness Center, or try a Group Fitness class such a Cardio/Tone or Fitness Express, which combines cardio routines with weights, medicine balls, body bars, tubing, and more.
Want more information? It’s all here: www.DPParks.org or call 847-391-5700.
See you around the parks!