Invite a friend
Des Arts, a fine arts weekend extravaganza with something for the entire family.
Performances continue on Saturday, October 21, 2012, “Family Day,” in the Library’s first floor meeting rooms by several ethnic dance groups including Sol Azteca Mexican Folk Dance group, the Dillon-Gavin School of Irish Dance, the Dance of India troupe and the Art of Street Dance (hip hop), taught and demonstrated by Richard Ashworth. On other floors of the Library there will a painting demonstration by Kristine Plum, Scratchboard drawing by Kathy Passi and a Printmaking demonstration by Ed Dougal, all of the Des Plaines Art Guild. Local artist Rhonda Popko will be supervising the painting of a community mural throughout the day.
Family fun continues on Saturday in the Poetry Alcove and on the Story Tree Stage as Jim Chrzan demonstrates drumming, Toni Rowitz conducts classes in poetry writing, and Sayge performs readings. In addition, the Destiny Ramblers will play country folk music, a demonstration will be presented by the Camera Club and Christy, the Strolling Storyteller, will entertain kids of all ages.
A performance by Maine West High School theatre students and the Northwest Choral Society will take place in the afternoon (time to be announced) on Sunday, October 22, 2012.
Two Visual Art Competitions will be conducted throughout the three day festival. The public is invited to vote for art work in adult, teen and youth categories for the People’s Choice Award. Winners will receive a $25 gift card. Professional art work will be judged by a panel of local dignitaries: Rhonda Popko, Professional Artist; John Hecker, Director, Des Plaines Park District; Mark Palmeri, Associate Professor, Art, Oakton Community College; and Steven Giese, Reference Librarian, Des Plaines Library. Prizes will be presented at 4:15 PM on Sunday afternoon. In addition, the Des Plaines History Center will host an exhibit on “Art in Des Plaines Through the Years.”
|Where||Des Plaines Public Library 1501 Ellinwood Ave, Des Plaines, IL 60016|
|Next on||This event is over.|
|Time||9:00 am–5:00 pm|
|Who to bring||Everyone|
More About Des Plaines Public Library
Des Plaines Public Library houses a vast collection of books, CDs, DVDs, magazines and music. The four-story building is one the largest public libraries in the Chicagoland area. It offers free wi-fi and services for the vision- and hearing-impaired. There are meeting rooms that can be reserved for public use and it hosts regular events for kids, teens and adults, like Family Movie Night. Sign-up for the E-newsletter or follow the library on Facebook and Twitter. The website is extremely extensive and it also hosts several blogs. Find these blogs under the "What's New?" tab on the website.
Other events here
- Family Storytime Weekly on Tuesdays, 6:30 pm–7:00 pm
- DPPL Writing Group May 14, 2013 / May 21, 2013 / May 28, 2013 / June 4, 2013 / June 11, 2013 / June 18, 2013 / June 25, 2013, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Meet with Congresswoman Schakowsky's Office Weekly on Wednesdays, 1:30 pm–5:00 pm
- Federal Affordable Care Act & You Wed, May 22, 7:00 pm–9:00 pm
- FREE Mentoring for Small Businesses and Start Ups Weekly on Thursdays, 5:00 pm–7:00 pm
- Ain's WiII Got Fun? Fri, May 24, 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- Ain't We Got Fun! May 24, 2013 / June 7, 2013 / June 21, 2013, 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- Frugal Friends Coupon Club - Eat for Less! Sat, Jun 1, 11:00 am–12:00 pm
- Sunday Afternoon Movies Sun, Jun 2, 1:30 pm–4:00 pm
- Tuesday Morning Book Group Tue, Jun 4, 10:00 am–11:00 am