Invite a friend
CUB to give Des Plaines consumers tips on electric competition, upcoming ComEd rate hike
The Citizens Utility Board (CUB) will give Des Plaines consumers tips on electric competition and how to cut utility bills, and the consumer group will share details about an electric rate cut over the summer as well as an electric increase slated for the fall.
"This is a confusing time to be an electric customer, but CUB can help you make sense of it all, and save money,” CUB Executive Director David Kolata said. "We have some great tips on how to slash your bills, and we have helpful, easy-to-understand information about electric competition in Illinois.”
Attendees will learn about:
*A $169 million decrease in ComEd delivery rates this past summer, and an increase in ComEd supply rates— from about 6.93 cents per kilowatt-hour to about 8.32 cents per kilowatt-hour—slated for Oct. 1.
* Electric choice. Des Plaines consumers can now choose a company other than ComEd to supply their electricity. In this new environment, CUB can help consumers spot questionable marketing tactics.
* CUB Energy Saver, www.CUBenergysaver.com, a free online service that helps consumers build a personalized plan to cut their energy bills, tracks real energy and monetary savings on ComEd bills, and rewards consumers who reduce their energy usage with restaurant and shopping discounts. The service has been showing consumers how to save an average of about $100 a year.
CUB is Illinois’ leading nonprofit utility watchdog organization. Created by the Illinois Legislature, CUB opened its doors in 1984 to represent the interests of residential and small-business utility customers. Since then, CUB has saved consumers more than $10 billion by helping to block rate hikes and secure consumer refunds. For more information, call CUB’s Consumer Hotline, at 1-800-669-5556, or visit CUB’s award-winning website, www.CitizensUtilityBoard.org.
|Where||Des Plaines Public Library 1501 Ellinwood Ave, Des Plaines, IL 60016|
|Next on||This event is over.|
|Who to bring||Moms, Dads, Families, Seniors|
More About Des Plaines Public Library
Des Plaines Public Library houses a vast collection of books, CDs, DVDs, magazines and music. The four-story building is one the largest public libraries in the Chicagoland area. It offers free wi-fi and services for the vision- and hearing-impaired. There are meeting rooms that can be reserved for public use and it hosts regular events for kids, teens and adults, like Family Movie Night. Sign-up for the E-newsletter or follow the library on Facebook and Twitter. The website is extremely extensive and it also hosts several blogs. Find these blogs under the "What's New?" tab on the website.
Other events here
- Family Storytime Weekly on Tuesdays, 6:30 pm–7:00 pm
- DPPL Writing Group May 14, 2013 / May 21, 2013 / May 28, 2013 / June 4, 2013 / June 11, 2013 / June 18, 2013 / June 25, 2013, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Meet with Congresswoman Schakowsky's Office Weekly on Wednesdays, 1:30 pm–5:00 pm
- FREE Mentoring for Small Businesses and Start Ups Weekly on Thursdays, 5:00 pm–7:00 pm
- Frugal Friends Coupon Club - Eat for Less! Sat, Jun 1, 11:00 am–12:00 pm
- Sunday Afternoon Movies Sun, Jun 2, 1:30 pm–4:00 pm
- Tuesday Morning Book Group Tue, Jun 4, 10:00 am–11:00 am
- My MediaMall Lab Thu, Jun 6, 11:30 am–12:30 pm
- Family Game Night Thu, Jun 6, 6:30 pm–8:00 pm
- Ain't We Got Fun! May 24, 2013 / June 7, 2013 / June 21, 2013, 10:00 am–12:00 pm