One of the four Maine West High School students who is suing Maine Township High School District 207 administrators, faculty and staff over hazing and bullying allegations described his experiences, and said he believes his coach, Michael Divincenzo, knew about the assaults because he saw him wink at players, WGN reported.
D-207 suspended Divincenzo without pay, pending the dismissal process, in December.
Divincenzo sent a request to D-207 for a hearing before a hearing officer on the matter, TribLocal reported.
Supporters of Divincenzo and another coach named in the lawsuit, Emilio Rodriguez, organized a “peace fire” for Jan. 1, an activity promoted by the coaches with their teams, but canceled it due to low attendance, according to posts on the Facebook page, “Support for Dive and Coach Rodriguez.”
Here are links to the stories posted about the hazing and bullying allegations to date:
- Maine West Coach Fired Over Hazing Allegations published Dec. 20.
- Crowd Packs D-207 Board Meeting About Coaches in Hazing Investigation published Dec. 19.
- D-207 to Discuss Personnel Related to Hazing Investigation published Dec. 19.
- Experts Explain When, Why Hazing Persists published Dec. 10.
- Poll Results: Schools Are Breeding Ground for Hazing, Bullying published Dec. 9.
- Maine West Students Rally Facebook Support for Coaches published Dec. 5.
- Allegations D-207 Failed to Report Hazing Referred to Cook County State’s Attorney published Dec. 4.
- D-207 Board, Teachers Speak On Hazing Issues published Dec. 4.
- Updated: Anti-Hazing Agreements Signed by Maine West Parents, Student Athletes published Dec. 3.
- Poll: Are Schools Doing Enough to Stop Hazing, Bullying? published Dec. 2.
- Letter from Maine West Parent to Principal: My Son ‘Endured a Hazing’ published Nov. 30.
- D-207: 2008 Hazing Reported to DCFS After Nov. 16, 2012 published Nov. 30.
- Anti-Hazing Agreements Signed by Maine West Parents, Student Athletes published Nov. 30.
- Mother: Maine West Hazing 'Destroying' Children published Nov. 28.
- Maine West Parent ‘Sickened’ by Tolerance of Bullying published Nov. 28.
- More Hazing Complaints at Maine West to Be Filed published Nov. 27.
- Second Hazing Investigation at Maine West Opened published Nov. 26.
- Lawsuit: Hazing, Sexual Assault of 14-Year-Old Boy at Maine West published Nov. 20.
- Maine West Soccer Sets School Record for Wins Despite Hazing Suspensions published Oct. 11.
- Reported ‘Inappropriate Conduct’ of Maine West Soccer Players, Coaches, Investigated by Police, DCFS published Oct. 8.