Fires at Residence, Paper Company Trigger Multi Fire Department Response in Des Plaines
Local fire departments assisted Des Plaines firefighters as they extinguished an attic fire in a residence and a machine fire at a business, stated Fire Chief Alan Wax.
Des Plaines firefighters responded to two calls at the same time on Saturday night, stated Fire Chief Alan Wax, which led to a number of area fire departments assiting.
The Des Plaines Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a paper manufacturer on the 100 block of East Oakton Street, Wax stated, and a short time later responded to a report of a fire at a residence on the 1600 block of Howard Street at 5:25 p.m. on Feb. 23.
The fire at the residence on Howard began in the attic, Wax stated, and was caused by a short circuit.
There were no injuries reported, Wax stated, and the residents in the unit that caught fire and the adjoining unit were displaced. The preliminary loss for both units was estimated at $43,000.
The fire at the paper company was caused by a short circuit in a machine, Wax stated, which ignited the paper going through it.
A sprinkler system contained the fire, crews extinguished it immediately, there were no injuries reported, Wax stated, and the preliminary loss was estimated at $2,000.
Wax praised the mutual aid response plan. Elk Grove Village, Elk Grove Township and Rosemont fire departments assisted Des Plaines firefighters, Wax stated, while Glenview, Wheeling and Arlington Heights fire departments sent vehicles to Des Plaines fire stations to respond to other calls.
North Maine firefighters responded to an ambulance call in downtown Des Plaines a short time after they received the call about the residential fire on Howard, Wax stated.
“Thank goodness for Mutual Aid,” Wax stated.